If you are a tenant living in social housing in a home that is larger than you need, downsizing is an option that you may wish to consider.
It can be difficult to give up a family home that you’ve lived in for a long time. But now could be the right time to start thinking about it - is your home too large for your current needs? Do you feel it’s becoming difficult to maintain?
Downsizing is worth considering and may just be the right answer for you.
There are also additional incentives and support available to help you make that move to a more suitably sized home.
Advantages to downsizing
There are plenty of advantages when it comes to downsizing:
- Lower household running costs
- Reducing rent payments
- Reducing time spent on housework and gardening
- Changing location
- Finding a property more suitable for your needs
- Removing the need to pay the Bedroom Tax
- Moving to a sheltered environment.
Additional advice and support
There is plenty of help available for people looking to downsize, with some incentives available to these include:
- You can meet with our dedicated downsizing team to discuss all of your housing needs, including independent living and mutual exchanges
- The Downsizing Officer can support you to bid for properties or arrange removals if needed
- You’ll be prioritised on the housing register, in line with our Under Occupation policy
- We can offer a property with one additional bedroom more than your basic need
- Painting and decorating vouchers are available in certain circumstances
- You’ll also be able to take advantage of financial offers and incentives where available*
*Financial incentives are subject to available funds.
If you are interested in moving to a smaller property and would like to find out more, please get in touch with our downsizing team today!
Telephone on 01438 242096 or email firstname.lastname@example.org