Skip to content

Supported self-contained accommodation

If you are over 60 or disabled and need support to live independently, you can apply for Independent Living.

Independent Living Schemes are a warm and welcoming community. All accommodation is self-contained with the reassurance of an experienced Specialist Support Officer on hand to offer help, support, and advice.

Emergency assistance is provided if and when needed.

We have several Independent Living Schemes, two of which are Flexicare providing extra care and support.

The level of independence is up to you. You can choose the level of contact with your Specialist Support Officer and how much contact you have in the scheme.

Independent Living Schemes are made up of various flats and bungalows. Although unfurnished, they are fully equipped with an emergency alarm system so you have peace of mind that help is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

There are two costs; your rent and the weekly support charge. These will be discussed with you during your assessment.

You will need to complete an application for housing.

Mutual exchange

Residents can also apply to mutual exchange into or out of independent living accommodation subject to an assessment which includes the suitability of the property.


Residents can also request a transfer move within independent living accommodation with an up-to-date assessment to be completed.

Both the mutual exchange and transfer requests are to be in line with the Local Lettings Policy for Specialist Accommodation (older people) and the Housing Allocation Scheme.

If you would like further information about any of our schemes please contact us using the form below.

Contact the Independent Living team - opens new windowExternal Link - opens in a new window

Specialist Support Services

Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

01438 242666