Skip to content

Can I claim Universal Credit?

If you need to make a claim for Universal Credit, here is some information that may help you prepare.

Universal Credit is a monthly payment that replaces the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you currently receive any of these benefits, you cannot claim Universal Credit at the same time. You may be able to claim Universal Credit if you’re on a low income or out of work.
It is paid differently to other benefits. It will be paid once a month (a single payment for your household), usually into your bank, building society or credit union account. You will have an online Universal Credit account to make and manage your claim. You will use this account to report changes, send messages to your work coach and get help and support.

You might have to wait up to five weeks for your first payment.

GOV.UK provide information on how to claim Universal Credit or you can also contact the Stevenage Jobcentre Plus on 0345 604 3719.

If you would like to discuss this further please contact us on 01438 242666 or email us at

Housing Benefit

If you need help to pay your rent you may be entitled to Housing Benefit. The Benefits Service will help tenants to claim any available assistance with paying their rent.

Financial advice

Free and independent rent, money and benefits advice is available from:

  • our Housing Advice Service (01438 242242);
  • your Income Officer; and
  • Stevenage Citizens’ Advice Bureau 08444 111 444 (Advice line) or 01438 344 238 (Appointments 24 hour).