Skip to content

If you are of working age and need to make a new claim for Housing Benefit you will have to claim Universal Credit administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

For more information about Universal Credit and to find out if you are eligible visit the website.

There are some exception groups who can continue to claim Housing Benefit from us: pensioners; families with 4 or more children; customers living in temporary / emergency / supported accommodation.

If you are unsure as to what benefit you should be claiming, please contact us without delay.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment which will replace six means tested benefits. These are:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income Support
  • Job Seekers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance

For those who are eligible to apply for Universal Credit, if you are awarded Universal Credit you will receive an allowance for your living expenses and housing costs where applicable. You will need to apply for Council Tax support separately.

Make a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support - opens new windowExternal Link - opens in a new window

You will need to bring all original copies of the required evidence to our customer service centre in Danestrete. We will check and photocopy all your documentation.

We cannot process your application until all your documentation has been received. 

What happens next?

Once your application has been assessed you will receive a decision notice. The decision notice will confirm your eligibility for benefit and how much you will receive.

If your application for Council Tax support is turned down you can appeal against the decision.

Payment of your Council Tax support

Council Tax support will be shown as a reduction on your Council Tax bill.

The Benefits Service

Daneshill House





01438 242440