Skip to content

Types of accommodation

The Temporary Accommodation team manage the council’s homelessness provision.

If we have reason to believe you are homeless, you will be placed into interim accommodation which may consist of shared facilities such as kitchen and bathroom. All provision is equipped with bed(s), a fridge, and a cooking facility.

Following investigation, if we find that you are owed a main housing duty, you will remain accommodated until we are able to discharge that duty into suitable accommodation; this can be via a direct offer of social or private rented sector accommodation or via a successful bid for accommodation, where you satisfy the housing allocation policy criteria.

Accommodation provided, to relieve homelessness, is temporary. This means that applicants can and will be moved, so that we can make best use of our provision and deliver our statutory homeless function.

Whilst accommodated applicants will be assigned a Temporary Accommodation Officer who will manage the accommodation. Applicants will be required to sign an occupancy agreement, which will be explained at the time of the letting. They will also be asked for photo identification and proof of income so will need to ensure they have this to hand.

Upon placement applicants will be contacted by a Temporary Accommodation Support Officer who will assess ongoing support needs and provide assistance in applying for benefit or essential items.

For more information about homeless duties, please see our Homelessness and Housing Advice web pages.

Rent payments

Accommodation is not free. The amount you pay depends on the size of the property and the services you receive, such as heating and hot water. Details of the rent and any service charges will be given to you when you meet your Tenancy Support Officer. You are responsible for making regular payments to your account.

Help with rent payments

If you receive a benefit or are on a low income, you may need help with paying for your accommodation. You may be able to apply for Housing Benefit to help pay for rented accommodation, but this will not pay for any gas or electricity charges.

You should find out if you are able to claim Universal Credit.


It is not normally possible to take pets into temporary accommodation, except for Guide Dogs. If possible, you should arrange for your pets to be temporarily looked after by friends or family, or at a kennel or cattery.


You will need to put items into storage as it may not be possible for you to take all your belongings into temporary accommodation.