Skip to content

Who do I report pavement and pathway issues to?

Depending on the problem or enquiry you have about pavement and pathway maintenance and obstruction, it may be Hertfordshire County Council, the Police, or ourselves that can help you.

Issues to report to us

Please report the following to us:

Hertfordshire County Council

The following issues should be reported to Hertfordshire County Council:

  • dangerous paving
  • damaged footpath
  • damaged carriageway
  • highway signs (not including street name plates)
  • public utility trench works, for example BT, Nynex, SEC etc, including those without proper barriers
  • winter gritting
  • private hedge/tree overhanging footpath
  • Obstruction such as:
    • advertising A-boards
    • a skip or scaffolding is obstructing the pavement
    • building work is affecting pedestrian safety
    • building materials are blocking the pavement an advertising board is blocking the pavement
    • banners or bunting is causing an obstruction

Hertfordshire County Council can be contacted on 0300 123 4047.

The Police

Vehicles parked causing an obstruction should be reported to the Police. The exception is where there is also a waiting restriction (yellow lines) on the adjacent roadway, in which case the nuisance should be reported to us.

Hertfordshire Constabulary can be contacted on 101 or 01707 354000. In an emergency, always dial 999.

Engineering Services

Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

01438 242296