Skip to content

Your rights and responsibilities

A lodger is someone who rents a room in your home but cannot stop you from having access to any part of it. You have the right to take in a lodger and ask them to pay rent.

You should give us their details and tell us when they moved in. You are responsible for making sure that your home does not become overcrowded.

Your circumstances

If you take in a lodger, it will not affect the rent we charge but it may affect any claims for benefit you are making. If you receive Housing Benefit and you do decide to take in a lodger, you should advise the Benefits service of your change in circumstances.

If you receive Income Support, you should tell the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).

Resident and Estates Services

Stevenage Borough Council

Daneshill House




01438 242666