Stay Put Policy
Stevenage Borough Council has a ‘Stay Put’ procedure agreed with the Fire brigade.
This means that unless the fire is in your home, you should stay in your flat unless affected by heat/smoke or if you have been advised by us to follow an evacuation procedure. High and low rise blocks of flats and Sheltered Schemes are designed to prevent fire from spreading and you are safer in your flat, unless you are affected by smoke or flames. If an evacuation is necessary the Fire and Rescue Service will supervise it.
For those living in Harrow Court, Brent Court, High Plash, High Croft or The Towers the procedure is different. Please see our Simultaneous Evacuation guidance.
On discovering a fire in your flat
- Leave the room where the fire is straight away, and then close the door.
- Tell everyone in your home and get them to leave.
- Close the front door of your flat behind you.
- Do not stay behind to put the fire out.
- Call the fire service.
- Do not use the lift, but leave the building. Wait outside, away from the building.
On hearing the fire alarm
- Remain in your flat; the flat is designed to keep the fire away from your flat.
- But leave immediately if smoke or heat affects your home, or if you are told to do so by the fire service.
- If you are in a communal area, leave the building by the safest available exit.
- If you’re in any doubt, get out.
- Make your way to the Assembly point.
Calling the Fire Service
- Dial 999 or 112.
- Give your telephone number to the operator and ask for fire.
- When connected, give the Fire Service the address of the fire.
- Do not end the call until the Fire Service has repeated the address correctly.