Skip to content

What is an alteration?

An alteration is anything which is an addition or change to the property, within the boundary of the property or its gas, electrical or water supply.

Under the terms of your tenancy agreement, you must contact us for written permission before you make any alterations to your home.

Examples of Alterations and Improvements include the following:

  • Installing replacement walls, windows, doors and floors.
  • Building or removing a structure in your garden including garages, sheds, greenhouses, fencing, gates or boundary walls.
  • Adding, altering, moving (or removing) any gas, electrical or water services (electrical sockets/fittings, Central heating and fireplaces, water meters, bathroom fixtures and showers).
  • Adding or replacing kitchen units moving/removing fitted units or doors.
  • Replacing a bathroom suite or installing additional sanitary ware.
  • Re-locating washing machines or other appliances.
  • Felling of a tree in the garden (e.g. where it is a hazard).
  • Installing a driveway, pavement crossing, hardstanding or dropped kerbs.
  • Decorating the outside of the property.
  • CCTV, satellite dishes and TV aerials.
  • Conservatories, extensions, porches or loft conversions.
  • Building patios or decking.

Please read our Residential Property Alterations and Improvements Procedure before filling in the application form.


For more information or general enquiries, please contact your Housing Officer in Resident and Estates Services at 

Apply online for permission to alter your council property - opens new windowExternal Link - opens in a new window

Planning permission

Depending on the works that you want to carry out, you may need planning permission and/or building regulations approval. You will be liable for any costs incurred.

If you do need planning permission or building control approval, please ensure you have applied for these prior to completing the application form.

If you are unsure if you will need planning permission, please see our Planning pages where you will find handy guides on common planning questions.

In addition, Building Control may be required to ensure any change in the structure is structurally sound. If you are unsure, please check the Building Control website.

Compensation for alterations

At the end of your tenancy, you may qualify for a compensation payment (less an allowance for depreciation) for an improvement or alteration you carried out after 1 April 1994. It is important to note that you must have had written permission from us prior to any work being carried out.

Room conversions

Converting a living room to a bedroom will increase your weekly rent.

Gas safety regulations prohibit the use of certain gas and solid fuel appliances in rooms used as bedrooms. If you need to use a room with a gas or solid fuel or boiler as a bedroom, please email or telephone our Customer Service Centre on 01438 242666.