Skip to content

Licence Conditions

To collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes, you require a street collection licence from us.

Only Local Authorities issue Street Collection Licences under Section 5 of the Police, Factories, etc. Miscellaneous Provisions Act 1916, as amended by the Local Government Act 1972 and Schedule 29 of that Act.

A copy of the Police, Factories, etc. Miscellaneous Provisions Act 1916 can be viewed at our Offices where you can also obtain a copy of our standard conditions.

It is often assumed that collections held in shop doorways or car parks do not need a Street Collection Licence because they are being held on 'privately owned land'. This is not true, as the legislation does not mention the ownership of the land or treat collections on 'privately owned land' as exempt from the licensing regulations. A shop doorway or carpark, when that shop is open for trading, is a 'public place' because the public has access at that time. No other licence would be valid. A Pedlars Licence, issued by the Police cannot be used for this purpose.

It is illegal in this country to hold a Street Collection to collect money or sell articles for the benefit of charitable or other purposes without obtaining a Street Collection Licence from us if that collection is to be held 'in a street or public place'. A 'public place' is a 'place where the public has access'.

The Street Collection Licence helps to ensure donations are collected in a secure way and reduce fraud.

How do I apply for a licence?

You can apply online on the GOV.UK website.

There is no fee for this application.

How do I submit a return?

There is a requirement for the promoter of the collection to make a return following the collection. You can submit a return on the GOV.UK website.


I am aware that should a Licence be granted to me, the collection must take place in strict compliance with the house-to-house collection regulations and / or the street collection regulations as appropriate. I am aware that it is also necessary for me to submit a certified form of statement within 28 days of the collection taking place.

When will my application be processed?

We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 4 working days.

We will determine your application within 28 days.

There are rules to be followed in applying. Street Collections are usually made by Charities. Collections usually take place in a town centre on busy shopping days and money is collected in tins. There are regulations which govern this type of collection. Consents are restricted to enable charities to raise money without their collections clashing with those of other charities.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes, you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.

Environmental Health and Licensing

Daneshill House





01438 242908 / 242916