Skip to content

Licence Conditions

A permit is required to undertake a 'house to house' collection, under the House to House Collections Act 1939.

A copy of the House to House Collections Act 1939 can be viewed at our Offices.

Whereas street collection permits are normally issued to cover a period of one or two days, a house to house collection permit can be granted for any period up to one year. With regard to vetting and checking to ascertain whether the organisation applying is genuine or not, the same procedures apply as for street collections.

Collections generally take place from door to door or from one public house to another.

Some of the larger well-known charities such as Christian Aid, Help the Aged etc, have a Charity Commission exemption from having to apply for a permit, but by and large most of the smaller, and particularly local groups and organisations need a permit before they can collect money (or articles which they intend to sell later), from door to door.

How do I apply for a licence?

You can apply online at the GOV.UK website.

There is no fee for this application.

How do I submit a return?

As with street collection permits there is a requirement for the promoter of the collection to make a return following the collection. You can submit a return on the GOV.UK website.


I am aware that should a Licence be granted to me, the collection must take place in strict compliance with the house-to-house collection regulations and / or the street collection regulations as appropriate. I am aware that it is also necessary for me to submit a certified form of statement within 28 days of the collection taking place.

When will my application be processed?

We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 4 working days.

We will determine your application within 28 days.

One of the key grounds for refusal would be where the total amount likely to be applied for charitable purpose as a result of the collection, is inadequate in proportion to the value of the proceeds likely to be received. So, for instance, where an applicant intends to claim a fair proportion of the proceeds of the collection for expenses, a permit could be refused.

There is no statutory guidance to local authorities on what would be a reasonable amount for expenses.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

Yes, you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period.

How do I appeal?

Unlike street collections, there is a statutory right of appeal against the refusal to grant a house to house collection permit. In this case, the right of appeal is to the Secretary of State, and the grounds for refusal are set out in the Act itself.

Environmental Health and Licensing

Daneshill House





01438 242908 / 242916