Skip to content

Licence Conditions

Any premises selling sex toys, books or videos may need a licence from us.

A venue where explicit films are shown to members of the public will also need a licence from us.

All applicants must:

  • be at least 18 years old;
  • not be disqualified from holding a licence;
  • have been resident in the UK for at least six months immediately before the application or, if a body corporate, must be incorporated in the UK; and
  • not have been refused the grant or renewal of a licence for the premises in question within the last 12 months unless the refusal has been reversed on appeal.

How much does a licence cost?

See our Environmental Health Fees and Charges.

How do I apply for a licence?

You can apply online at the GOV.UK website.

When will my application be processed?

We will acknowledge receipt of your application within 4 working.

We will determine your application within 28 days.

Fees will be payable for applications and conditions may be attached. Applications must contain the applicant's name and address.

Where the applicant is an individual, the application must contain; their age and the address of the premises.

Applicants must give public notice of their application by publishing an advertisement in a local newspaper.

Will tacit consent apply?

No, it is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us.

How do I appeal?

Appeals can be made to the Magistrates’ Court within 21 days of the refusal of a licence application, or if you are aggrieved by any condition attached to the licence.

Environmental Health and Licensing

Daneshill House





01438 242908 / 242916