Aids and Adaptations Policy
Approved by: Executive Committee
Date of approval: 11 March 2020
Author: Andy Sowden – Investment Programme Manager
Owner: Jaine Cresser – Assistant Director, Housing & Investment
Live from: 1 April 2020
Review date: 1 April 2023
1.0 Aims of the policy
1.1 The policy aims to assist in the delivery of an aids and adaptation service that will be able to:
- Provide focus on supporting people to consider how their future needs can be met and live more independently, improving their day-to-day quality of life in and around the home.
- Ensure that the reasonable needs of the council’s disabled tenants are prioritised and appropriate aids and adaptations are implemented. Also that adapted properties are let taking into account the needs of the tenants.
- Ensure integration between internal services and closer working with partnering organisations for example Hertfordshire County Council’s Adult Care and Children’s Services departments and NHS Children’s Services.
- Comply with the legal and statutory requirements in relation to the provision of disabled adaptations (e.g. Equality Act 2010) and good practice guidance, including ‘Delivering Housing Adaptations for Disabled People.
- Maximise all available funding sources and ensure that the available budgets are used effectively and efficiently to maximise best use of council housing stock and ensure that the needs of the tenants are appropriately prioritised.