Skip to content

It is a criminal offence to abandon a motor vehicle on any land in the open air or on any other land forming part of the highway.

When can we investigate an abandoned vehicle?

We can begin the investigation process if the vehicle:

  • has no current registered keeper;
  • has been stationary for a significant amount of time;
  • is significantly damaged, run down, unroadworthy or burned out;
  • is lacking one or more of its number plates or contains waste; or
  • is dangerously parked and should be reported to the Police.

Reporting an abandoned vehicle

You can report an abandoned vehicle online.

When reporting online the system will generate a web reference number, this is not a reporting reference number and you will not be able to match it against any reference numbers available on the tracking report.

Report an abandoned vehicle - opens new windowExternal Link - opens in a new window

If a vehicle is untaxed or without an MOT it should be reported to the DVLA, who are able to undertake enforcement.

You can check the Tax and MOT status of a vehicle online.

If either of these are expired or missing you can report an untaxed vehicle online.

What action will we take?

We will deal with vehicles reported as abandoned on land in the open air maintained at public expense (and on private property upon request/authorisation). Our aim is to inspect vehicles reported as abandoned within one working day of receiving a complaint and to remove vehicles that are unclaimed within two days of the notice period expiring.

A £200 Fixed Penalty Notice for abandoning a vehicle may be issued.

Nuisance/dangerous vehicles may be removed immediately by the police for safety reasons.

If a vehicle is successfully claimed and confirmed to not be abandoned then further action or enforcement is outside of Stevenage Borough Council’s remit.

How do I claim a vehicle?

We require proof of an individual’s identity and the vehicle log book (V5) to accept any claim of ownership. The registered keeper details on the vehicle log book (V5) must match the claimant’s proven name and address. No other form of documentation will be accepted as proof of ownership and we will not enter into any correspondence / communication with any person other than the registered keeper.

Removal, storage and other charges must be paid in advance of any vehicle authorised from release back to the owner/registered keeper.