Part 1 - Summary and Explanation
Our Constitution explains how we operate and how decisions are made. We follow procedures so that the decisions we make and the actions we take are clear and understood by local people. Some of these procedures are required by law while other procedures are ones that we have chosen to follow.
Part 2 - Articles of the Constitution
The Constitution's 14 articles set out the basic rules that govern the Council's business.
- Article 1 - The Constitution
- Article 2 - Members of the Council
- Article 3 - Citizens and the Council
- Article 4 - The Council
- Article 5 - The Mayor and Youth Mayor
- Article 6 - Scrutiny
- Article 7 - The Executive
- Article 8 - The Standards Committee, Regulatory and other Committees
- Article 9 - Joint Arrangements and Joint Committees
- Article 10 - Officers
- Article 11 - Decision making
- Article 12 - Finance, contracts and legal matters
- Article 13 - Monitoring and Revision of the Constitution
- Article 14 - Suspension, interpretation and publication of the Constitution
Part 3 - Responsibility for Functions
'Responsibility for Functions' including who is responsible for what function within the Council.
Part 4 - Rules for procedure
- 'Standing Orders' including Council Meetings, Committees and the Code of Conduct for Members.
- Access to Information Procedure' including rules regarding information on Council meetings, the rights of the public regarding the disclosure of information, information which cannot be made public and decisions made.
- 'Budget and Policy Framework Procedure Rules' including the process for developing the budget and policy framework, resolving conflict, the transfer of budgetary funds and decisions.
- 'Executive Procedure Rules' including who the Leader delegates responsibility to and sub-delegation, Executive meetings, Conflicts of Interest and agenda items.
- 'Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules' including how arrangements are made for scrutiny, who can be involved in scrutiny and who cannot, reports of scrutiny and details of when a Councillor can be "called-in" regarding a matter or issue.
- 'Financial Regulations' including Financial Management (budgetary control and budget setting), Risk Management (audits and fraud) and Financial Systems and Procedures.
- 'Contract Standing Orders' including rules regarding contracts below £75,000, contracts between £75,001 and the EU threshold and contracts above the EU threshold.
- 'Officer Employment Procedure Rules' including the appointment and recruitment of officers, disciplinary action and dismissal.
- Part 4a Standing Orders - June 2020 - pdf (376.1 KB) - opens document in new window
- Appendix Temporary Changes to the Constitution - pdf (165.8 KB) - opens document in new window
- Part 4B - Access to Information Procedure (October 2016) - pdf (350.8 KB) - opens document in new window
- Part 4C Budget and Policy Framework Procedure Rules (June 2018) - pdf (142.6 KB) - opens document in new window
- Part 4D - Executive Procedure Rules (October 2016) - pdf (170.0 KB) - opens document in new window
- Part 4E - Overview and Scrutiny Procedure Rules (August 2018) - pdf (160.3 KB) - opens document in new window
- Part 4F - Financial Regulations (July 2020) - pdf (572.0 KB) - opens document in new window
- Part 4G - Contract Standing Orders (July 2020) - pdf (535.2 KB) - opens document in new window
- Part 4H - Officer Employment Procedure Rules (August 2018) - pdf (235.0 KB) - opens document in new window
Part 5 - Codes and Protocols
Reviewed August 2018
- 'Code of Conduct for Members' including the principles that apply to the Code of Conduct and when they apply.
- 'Protocol for relationships between Members and Officers' including the role of Members, Officers and the relationships between Members and Officers.
- Employees Code of Conduct' including principles, relations, equality, whistleblowing and rewards, gifts and hospitality.
Part 6 - Members' Allowances Scheme
'Members' Allowances Scheme' including allowances paid to Members and Special Responsibility Allowances paid to others such as the Leader of the Council and Executive Members.
Part 7 - Organisational Structure
Updated July 2020
Our 'Organisational Structure' provides names, faces and contact details for our CEO, Deputy CEO, Strategic Directors and Assistant Directors.
Please contact us if you require a hard copy of the Constitution.