Members' Allowance Scheme
Effective from 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022
Stevenage Borough Council has made the following Members’ Allowances scheme under the Local Government Act 2000 and the Local Authorities (Members’ Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003.
- This scheme may be cited as the Stevenage Borough Council Members’ Allowances Scheme, and shall have effect for the year 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022.
- In this scheme,
“Councillor” means a Member of the Stevenage Borough Council who is a Councillor; “year” means the period ending on 31 March 2022.
- Basic Allowance
A basic allowance shall be paid to each Councillor from 1 April 2021.
- Special Responsibility Allowances
1) For each year a special responsibility allowance shall be paid to those Councillors who hold the special responsibilities in relation to the authority that are specified in the schedule to this scheme.
2) Subject to paragraph 6, (part year entitlements) the amount of each such allowance shall be the amount specified against that special responsibility in that schedule.
3) Members are only able to claim one SRA.
A Councillor may by notice in writing to the Chief Executive elect to forego any part of their entitlement to an allowance under this scheme.
- Part-year Entitlements
Payment of Basic and Special Responsibility Allowances will be pro-rata where Councillors do not serve for a full year on the Council.
Payments shall be made on a regular monthly basis. Claims for dependent carer’s allowances and travel and subsistence allowance shall be made within two months of being incurred
- Suspension of Payments
- The Council will withhold all allowances to any Councillor who is suspended for misconduct and will require Councillors to repay any allowance already paid during a period of suspension.
- Basic Allowance Paid to All Members - £8,019
Special Responsibility Allowances
(i) Leader of the Council - £22,512
(ii) Executive Members - £11,025
(iii) Chair of Planning and Development Committee - £11,025
(iv) Chair of Overview & Scrutiny Committee - £9,900
(v) Chair of Licensing Committee - £4,503
(vi) Chairs of Select Committees - £5,628
(vii) Chair of Audit Committee - £4,503
(viii) Leader of the Opposition - £4,503
(ix) Leader of minority opposition party(ies) - £1,541
Payment to Specific Co-opted Members
- Independent Member - Audit Committee - £1,361
- Independent person who must be consulted on alleged breaches of a code of conduct - £1,361
The following amounts may be claimed for Councillors attending approved duties.
- Childcare Maximum of £11.30 per hour
- Dependant care Maximum of £25.69 per hour
Payment to relatives that live in the same household as the Councillor will not be admissible and there will be a maximum allowance of 20 hours per month. Receipts will need to be provided.
Travel, Subsistence and Other Allowances
The allowances for travel and subsistence will be the same as those fixed for employees of the Council from time to time. Claims to be submitted within 2 months of the date to which they relate.
The Basic and Special Responsibility Allowances details above are index linked to any pay awards applicable to NJC staff.
Payments made to Members
In accordance with the Local Authority's (Members' Allowances) (England) Regulation 15, details of the total sum paid to each recipient made under the Stevenage Borough Council Scheme for Members' Allowances in respect of the Basic Allowance, Special Allowance; and Co-optees' Allowance is available for download below, or from the Council's Main Reception at Daneshill House.
- Members Allowance Scheme Summary 2020/21 - pdf (118.8 KB) - opens document in new window
- Members Allowances Summary Report 2019/20 - pdf (233.8 KB) - opens document in new window
- Members Allowance Scheme Summary 2018/19 - pdf (81.8 KB) - opens document in new window
- Members Allowance Scheme Summary 2017/18 - pdf (114.3 KB) - opens document in new window
- Members Allowance Scheme Summary 2016/17 - pdf (111.4 KB) - opens document in new window
- Members Allowance Scheme Summary 2015/16 - pdf (91.3 KB) - opens document in new window
Stevenage Borough Council