Skip to content

The Greater South East Net Zero Hub is a public body hosted by the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority (CPCA) and funded by the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS).

They provide support to 64 local authorities across the South East of England to administer the Sustainable Warmth Programme. The programme is made up of two schemes: Local Authority Delivery Phase 3 (LAD3) and Home Upgrade Grant Phase 1 (HUG1), which are Government-funded energy-efficiency schemes.

Warmworks is the managing agent of the scheme and responsible for the whole customer journey, from the initial sign-up process, through to a property assessment, the installation of energy-saving improvements, and a quality inspection to ensure that everything has been fitted to a high standard.

Q: How will my data be shared / stored?

A: Your data will be shared in accordance with Warmworks, BEIS and CPCA's Privacy Notices

Q: Can someone else apply for me?

A: Yes. You can ask someone else to speak on your behalf. This may be a friend, family member, carer or, in some cases, your landlord. If you would like to do this, we will need your permission and the other person's contact details.

Q: How long will the process take?

A: All energy-saving improvements must be completed by 31 March 2023. We are unable to provide exact timings for individual applications as we are helping a high number of households across South East England.

Q: How is the £30,000 income of people applying to the scheme calculated?

A: £30,000 income is calculated as your annual income after tax reductions. Please note, if there are two or more adults within the household, your combined income must be less than £30,000 after tax reductions.

Q: What income and expenditure evidence will I need to provide?

A: We will ask for income evidence for all adults in the home. This may include pay slips, P60s, benefit letters (if applicable), or bank statements if no other option is available. We may also need a copy of your mortgage statement (or tenancy agreement) and your Council Tax bill.

Q: What if I can’t find the necessary documents?

A: If you can’t find the necessary evidence of eligibility during the survey appointment, we will give you time to provide these to us after the survey. You will need to provide the evidence of eligibility before our application can progress any further. In some cases, there may be other ways we can confirm your eligibility. For example, we could request your permission for the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) to confirm your benefits to us. If this is the case, your surveyor will explain this to you.

Q: Why do I need a survey?

A: To qualify for the Sustainable Warmth scheme, your home’s energy rating needs to be below a certain threshold. The surveyor will assess your home’s energy performance, to provide an accurate rating of how energy efficient your home is. The survey will also show how much of a difference any recommended energy efficiency measures will make.

Q: What do I do if my property does not have an Energy Performance Certificate?

A: To qualify for the Sustainable Warmth scheme, the energy rating of your home needs to be below a certain threshold. An Energy Performance Certificate will be produced as part of the survey to confirm that your property is eligible.

Q: I am a landlord/tenant, can I apply?

A: Yes. Privately rented properties may be eligible for a grant of up to £5,000. The tenant will need to meet the income eligibility, and both landlords and tenants must consent to the grant application. The landlord must provide a minimum contribution of 33% towards the cost of the works.

Q: I am a landlord and my property is empty, can I apply?

A: No, the grant is awarded based on the eligibility of the tenant living in the property.

Q: What works will I receive?

A: If eligible, a comprehensive whole house assessment will be completed by a Managing Agent/Contractor. A package of works will be provided to you, offering the best combination of carbon emission and energy bill savings, based on the grant funding available.

Q: What measures are included in this scheme?

A: Wall, loft and underfloor insulation, as well as low carbon heating technologies such as Air Source Heat Pumps, Ground Source Heat Pumps and solar photovoltaics. Heating technologies run by fossil-fuels such as mains gas, LPG, oil and coal are excluded.

Q: What should I expect from the installation visit?

A: Everyone who carries out installations of energy-saving improvements on the Sustainable Warmth scheme, on behalf of Warmworks, is trained and accredited to the highest quality standards. We make sure they adhere to a strict code of conduct on leaving your home clean and tidy. However, the work may be noisy and disruptive, particularly if it includes changes to the heating system. You may be asked to make preparations before the work starts, such as moving furniture or moving your pets to a safe place. The registered installation company will always do their best to keep disruption to a minimum. They will also make every effort to ensure you are happy with the work before they leave.

Q: What happens if I need to change any of my appointments?

A: You can contact us or your registered installation company at any time to inform us of anything that means you need to alter appointments. We ask that you give us as much notice as possible. But we understand that sometimes circumstances can change quickly, and we will always do our best to meet your needs.

Q: Are the grants subject to any conditions, or do they need to be repaid?

A: The grants will not have to be repaid, provided the terms of the grant are complied with, and they are not subject to any kind of charge on the property. The terms of the grant require the owner-occupier (or tenant) to sign a document confirming that the works have been completed and they must also allow access for any post installation surveys or inspections that are needed.

Q: I don’t think my application is moving as quickly as it should. What should I do?

A: We try to reach everyone as quickly as possible. If you are concerned about the progress of your application, please contact our Customer Service Team by phone on 0800 011 6189 or by email to

Q: Who should I contact to see if I am eligible?

A: Call free on 0808 196 8255 or fill in the application form online.