Skip to content

Entitlement for bus passes

On 6 April 2010, the age at which people become eligible for concessionary travel changed. This was in line with changes which are being made to the state pension age.

Free bus passes

As part of a national scheme, Herts County Council has taken over the administration of the National Concessionary Travel (free bus passes) Scheme from District Councils including us. Leaflets explaining the change are available from our Customer Service Centre in Danestrete.

This change has no effect on current bus passes, which will remain valid until their expiry date. Anyone wishing to obtain a new pass or renew their existing pass will simply have to send their application (or renewal) form to Herts County Council instead of to us.

You can complete an online application for a bus pass on the Herts County Council website.

Bus passes for the disabled

You can apply for a disabled person's bus pass at any age.

Bus travel for 11-25 year olds

A Hertfordshire SaverCard allows half price bus travel for 11-25 year olds in Hertfordshire. The holder can travel for half the adult fare at all times on local bus services within Hertfordshire and to certain destinations outside Hertfordshire.

If you're at secondary school and your family is on a low income or receive benefits, you may be able to get a SaverCard for free.


Concessionary Travel Team
Hertfordshire County Council
PO Box 153
Herts SG1 2GH

You can contact Adult Social Services on 0300 123 4042. To see the full list of services, visit the Adult Social Services section on the website.