Street Naming and Numbering
We are the street naming and numbering authority for Stevenage.
If you are developing one or more properties, please let us know as soon as possible. This is necessary even if you are splitting an existing property into flats. The selection of street names is a matter which requires careful consideration to ensure that they are suitable for the development and will not conflict with, or duplicate existing names within the town. Although developers' suggestions for street names will be given due consideration, we reserve the right to determine street names bearing in mind any existing local naming themes and/or the history of the site and will consult with local Councillors on each case.
Streets are named and buildings numbered when they are first built, but sometimes they have to be changed, for example if there are new buildings being built nearby. Street naming and numbering changes can be a highly sensitive and emotive issue and we do not make changes unless we have to because of the inconvenience it can cause. Any such naming process will require this Authority to carry out a full consultation with local residents.
- Names suggested by developers must be easily understood, spelt and pronounced with a maximum of three syllables. All new street names should end with a terminal word such as: Street, Road, Drive, Avenue, Gardens, Lane, Place, Crescent, Square, Mews, Close, Circus, End, Hill or Terrace as appropriate.
- Multiple occupancy residential blocks and office blocks names must have a terminal name such as; Court, Mansion, House or Point for residential blocks and Tower for both residential and office blocks.
- You may apply for an address or change the name of a property only if you own the property. If you are a tenant you must present written approval from the owner. An applicant can suggest a name for a building to be considered.
- When a name has been given to a property as well as a number, the name must always be used with the number as a name only cannot be considered as an alternative to a property number.
- You can apply for the Street Naming and Numbering service once planning permission for the development has been given.
- Applicants must submit a layout plan with the location of each address' marked with an arrow and a location plan showing the development in the context of its surrounding streets.
- We will update the National Land and Property Gazetteer and liaise with Royal Mail to obtain a post code for the development. We will also advise all relevant authorities and agencies once the process is completed. Once the relevant details of the development/property have been verified, Ordnance Survey will reflect the outline on the OS mapping database. This process may take many months to be completed by the OS. Where a new street is named, the developer is obliged to erect corresponding street name plates based on the specification and site location/positions advised by us.
- Once registration of official postal addresses for a property/development is completed and all relevant authorities, agencies and applicant have been advised. We will not be responsible for non-delivery of postal items, erroneous parcel deliveries, Satellite Navigation misdirection, Utility Organisations’ address enquiries, Royal Mail’s post code finder website or any other third party assumptions and interpretations in regards locating or identifying a property / development.
- A fee quotation will be given based of the schedule of charges laid out below. The naming and numbering process will begin on advance payment of the fees by the applicant.
Categories and cost
|Next 10 dwellings (per dwelling)||£53|
|All further dwellings (per dwelling)||£27|
|Naming of a building (for example, a block of flats)||£265|
|Naming of new street||£202|
|Change of existing house name or adding an alias name||£80|
|Miscellaneous items (e.g. revised lay-out, renumbering, further notifications to 3rd parties, confirmation of postal address, re-consultations, etc) based on particulars of additional service||Quotation based|
|Commercial premises numbering (per unit)||£265|
|Commercial premises numbering (further units)||£132|
Street naming and numbering
Stevenage Borough Council