Register with the Planning Portal
If you haven't already, you'll need to register with the Planning Portal for a planning application account before being able to make a planning application.
Types of planning applications
The Planning Portal provides supporting information on most applications that can be made online.
- Advertisement Consent
- Agricultural or Forestry Development - Prior Approval
- Agricultural Holdings Certificate
- Approval (Discharge) of Conditions
- Approval of Reserved Matters
- Change of use - Prior Approval
- Collection Facility
- Conservation Area Consent
- Demolition of Buildings - Prior Approval
- Full Planning Consent
- Hedgerow Removal Notice
- Householder Planning Consent
- Listed Building Consent
- Larger Home Extensions - Prior Approval
- Lawful Development Certificate (existing and proposed)
- Non-Material Amendments
- Outline Planning Consent
- Removal or Variation of Conditions
- Tree Preservation Orders
- Solar Panels on non domestic buildings
- Telecommunications Development - Prior Approval
Making a planning application
If you have already registered on the Planning Portal, you can begin an application.
Planning application fees
There are different fees you will need to pay us depending on the type of application you are submitting.
You can find out the cost of your planning application by referring to the Planning Portal.
Please note that Regulations to introduce the 20% increase in planning fees were made on 20 December 2017 so we were able to start applying the fee increase from 17 January 2018.
The Regulations also introduced the following fees:
- A new fee of £402 per 0.1 hectares for Permission in Principle applications.
- The ability for us to charge for applications for planning permission following the removal of permitted development rights through Article 4 Directions or by condition.
- A fee of £96 for prior approval applications (non-householder) to permitted development rights that were introduced in April 2015 and April 2017.
How to pay
You can pay for your application by cheque made payable to Stevenage Borough Council. Send the cheque with your application to our Planning and Development team.
Alternatively, once you have submitted your application, you can pay by debit or credit card over the phone by calling 01438 242166.
If you have any questions about payment or application fees, please contact our Validation Team on 01438 242166.
Please note that we are looking to provide an online payment system.
Before choosing any professional advisor, you will need to consider talking to a number of people who specialise in the type of work you want to do; whether you want to work with a professional from a small, medium or large practice and seeking a personal recommendation from your family or friends.
- Architecture Registration Board - In order for an individual to use the title "Architect", they must be registered with the ARB.
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors - If you wish to appoint a Surveyor, they must be a member of the RICS.
- Chartered Association of Building Engineers - CABE are a leading body of professions who specialise in the design, construction, evaluation and maintenance of building construction.
- Chartered Architectural Technologist - To lead your project from inception to completion.
- Royal Town Planning Institute - A directory of Planning Consultants.
Hertfordshire County Council
Queries and questions
If you have any questions about a particular application you are looking to submit to us, you can contact our duty planning officer between 9am and 1pm at our main offices.
Development Management Team
Stevenage Borough Council