Skip to content

How do I get a kerb lowered?

If you need to get vehicle or wheelchair access onto your property, you can apply to have the kerb outside your property lowered.

To make a formal application for a dropped kerb you will need to contact Hertfordshire County Council who are the Highways Authority.

How much will it cost?

As the work will be carried out by the Highways Authority, you will need to contact them on 0300 1234 047.

Whether you are granted permission, or live in an area where permission is not required, you will still have to pay for the crossing or dropped kerb to be installed.

Do I need planning permission?

You do not need planning permission if you live on an unclassified road. Pedestrian crossings, (getting wheelchairs on and off the footway), do not require planning permission.

If you live on a classified road (A, B or C road) then you will need to apply for Householder Planning Consent. To find out if you live on one of these roads then you should contact the Highways Authority on 0300 1234 047.

Any application for the construction of a domestic crossing or dropped kerb may be refused or modified on the grounds of highway safety.