Skip to content

An HM Armed Forces Veteran Card is a way to prove that you served in the UK armed forces. The card can make it quicker and easier to apply for support as a veteran.

It’s a recognition of your service and can be one of the ways that helps you maintain a link with your service identity. It’s free to apply.

You can currently only apply for a Veteran Card if you have a UK address. Veterans who do not have a UK address will be able to apply later this year.

Check what you can do with a Veteran Card.

Who can get an HM Armed Forces Veteran Card

You can apply if you were in the regulars or reserves for the:

  • Royal Navy
  • Army
  • Royal Air Force (RAF)
  • Royal Marines

If you served in another group in the UK armed forces, you may still be able to get a card. You can check when you apply online or when you call to request a postal form.

You cannot apply if you served:

  • in the armed forces of another country
  • alongside the UK armed forces, for example in the Canadian Navy or Royal Australian Air Force

What you’ll need

When you apply, you’ll be asked for:

Apply online

To apply online, you will have to prove your identity using GOV.UK One Login. You’ll be able to create a GOV.UK One Login if you do not already have one.

To do this, you’ll need:

  • an email address
  • photo ID - for example, a UK passport or driving licence

You can only apply online if you’re applying on your own behalf. If you’re getting a card for someone else, please apply by post.

Apply for an HM Armed Forces Veteran Card service - opens new windowExternal Link - opens in a new window

Other ways to apply

Contact the Veterans UK Helpline if you need help or cannot apply online. They’ll send you a form that you can return by post.

Veterans UK Helpline
Telephone: 0808 1914 218
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm