Apply for an HM Armed Forces Veteran Card
An HM Armed Forces Veteran Card is a way to prove that you served in the UK armed forces. The card can make it quicker and easier to apply for support as a veteran.
It’s a recognition of your service and can be one of the ways that helps you maintain a link with your service identity. It’s free to apply.
You can currently only apply for a Veteran Card if you have a UK address. Veterans who do not have a UK address will be able to apply later this year.
Who can get an HM Armed Forces Veteran Card
You can apply if you were in the regulars or reserves for the:
- Royal Navy
- Royal Air Force (RAF)
- Royal Marines
If you served in another group in the UK armed forces, you may still be able to get a card. You can check when you apply online or when you call to request a postal form.
You cannot apply if you served:
- in the armed forces of another country
- alongside the UK armed forces, for example in the Canadian Navy or Royal Australian Air Force
What you’ll need
When you apply, you’ll be asked for:
- your service number for your last period of service
- your National Insurance number
- the approximate year you started and ended your service - it does not have to be exact
- a recent digital passport style photo, showing your head and shoulders
To apply online, you will have to prove your identity using GOV.UK One Login. You’ll be able to create a GOV.UK One Login if you do not already have one.
To do this, you’ll need:
- an email address
- photo ID - for example, a UK passport or driving licence
You can only apply online if you’re applying on your own behalf. If you’re getting a card for someone else, please apply by post.
Other ways to apply
Contact the Veterans UK Helpline if you need help or cannot apply online. They’ll send you a form that you can return by post.
Veterans UK Helpline
Telephone: 0808 1914 218
Monday to Friday, 8am to 4pm