Skip to content

Which activities require a licence?

As the licensing authority, we are responsible for granting premises licences for the sale and/or supply of alcohol and the provision of regulated entertainment and late night refreshment throughout the borough.

Activities, which require a licence under the conditions of the Act, include:

  • The supply of any hot food or drink between 23:00 and 05:00 hours.
  • The retail sale of alcohol (including via the internet or mail order).
  • The supply of alcohol to members of a registered club.
  • The provision of entertainment to the public or to members of a club or events with a view to making profit to which the public are not admitted (including raising money for charity) where the entertainment involves:
    • a theatrical performance;
    • a film exhibition;
    • any indoor sporting event including boxing or wrestling;
    • the performance of live music;
    • the playing of recorded music;
    • a 'dance' performance;
    • the provision of facilities for dancing or for making music; and
    • entertainment of a similar nature such as karaoke.

Licensing policy

We are required to publish a licensing policy detailing how we will carry out our functions in line with the Licensing Act 2003. The current policy will be revised routinely. 

Our duty is to ensure the promotion of the four licensing objectives:

  • the prevention of crime and disorder;
  • public safety;
  • the prevention of public nuisance; and
  • the protection of children from harm.

The policy also takes into account the promotion of schemes (such as Stevenage Pubwatch), which encourages licensed premises to become involved in partnership working with the council and responsible authorities. 

A list of fees relating to the Licensing Act 2003 is available on the Environmental Health Fees and Charges page.

Environmental Health and Licensing

Daneshill House





01438 242908 / 242916