Skip to content
Free meals for school children during half term

The council will be giving out free meals to children during the October half term (26 - 30 October)

Find out more

Disrepair and poor conditions

Under the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018 (known as the Homes Act), if a landlord fails to comply with their obligation to ensure the property is fit for human habitation, such as free from disrepair or poor living conditions, tenants from any tenure (private, housing association and council tenants) have the right to take court action for breach of contract.

For more information on the Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act 2018, there is non-statutory guidance available for tenants and landlords from GOV.UK.

If you live in a privately rented home or housing association property and there are disrepair issues or the property is in poor condition, in the first instance you should always write to your landlord, a text, email etc notifying them of the problems giving them the opportunity to carry out repairs or improve the conditions. Remember to always keep a copy of the text, email etc. If your landlord has failed to carryout repairs or improve conditions you can report it to the Residential Environmental Health team, who can take action on your behalf.

Environmental Health and Licensing

Daneshill House

01438 242908 / 242916

© 2020 Stevenage Borough Council