Skip to content

How is Buildings Insurance cover arranged?

All leasehold flats are insured on a block policy underwritten by Protector, Policy No. 3322945. Your flat is included in the policy. There is a “General Interests” Clause which caters for the noting of interests of all borrowers and lenders associated with the insured flats.

When should I expect to pay my Insurance premium?

The period of insurance starts on 1 October each year. The 100% premium charge is paid by us around that time. The insurance premium is then recharged to each leaseholder as part of Service Charges.

What does the Buildings Insurance cover?

Your leasehold property is in a building that is owned by us and we are responsible for insuring the building. The Buildings Insurance covers the structure of your home (including its fixtures and fittings, if they are your property) and:

  • interior decorations and fixtures and fittings within the building including those in the communal areas;
  • private garage (including a garage on a nearby site forming part of the property);
  • domestic outbuildings, annexes, extensions, foundations;
  • swimming pools;
  • septic tanks and central heating fuel tanks; and
  • walls, gates, fences, patios, drives and paths.

Please note the definition of “fixtures and fittings” as per the policy:

  • Built-in furniture and built-in ovens and hobs.
  • Fixed glass and fixed sanitary ware.
  • Pipes, ducts, tanks, wires, cables, switches, boilers and storage heaters all of which are permanently fixed.
  • Wall, floor, ceiling coverings (other than carpets) all of which are permanently fixed.

For more detailed information, please read Leasehold Buildings Insurance - Answers to your questions.

Summary of cover

Please see the “Confirmation of Insurance” letter issued by our Broker (Arthur J Gallagher) for the current period of insurance which runs from 1/10/23 to 30/9/24. This is a summary of cover and confirms the level of excess payable in the event of a claim.

A copy of the policy document is available on request. Please contact us on 01438 242666 or 01438 242406 or by email to in this respect.

How do I know if damage to my property is covered?

This depends on what the cause of the damage is.

Insurers will not pay for any damage that results from wear and tear, faulty building work or lack of maintenance. If you are in any doubt, please call Protector on 0161 274 9077; they are fully trained and have excellent knowledge of the policy cover.

How do I make a claim?

 In the event of having to make a claim, please call Protector directly on their dedicated claims line 0161 274 9077 or by email using, Claims must be notified, within 90 days, from the date of loss or damage. Failure to do so could void the claim. In respect of incidents involving theft or vandalism, you must also report the incident to the police within 24 hours of discovering the loss or damage and ask for an incident or crime reference number. The claims telephone line is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and therefore if your claim is an emergency, you should call as soon as you can.

How do I insure the contents of my home?

You are responsible for insuring the contents of your home, such as your personal belongings, furniture, leaseholder improvements. You can find out more information about Home Contents Insurance.

Who can I contact for more information or advice?

Please contact our Insurance Team on 01438 242406.