Skip to content

Your responsibility

As a leaseholder, you are legally responsible for making sure that all the gas appliances in your home are serviced and inspected annually.

You have a responsibility to yourself and the residents in your home to ensure gas appliances and flues are safe.

Gas Safe registered engineer must carry out the work.

If you sublet your home

Under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 leaseholders who sublet their home have additional responsibilities.

  • Make sure gas appliances, pipe work and flues are in a safe condition.
  • Keep records of safety checks for at least two years.
  • Make sure your tenant is given a copy of the landlord's gas safety record (CP12) within 28 days of the inspection. Please also send us a copy of your certificate
  • Make sure new tenants receive copies of the most recent landlord's gas safety record before they move in.

You should also show your tenant(s) how they can turn off the gas supply in the event of a leak.

Installing new equipment

If a new boiler or heating system needs to be installed, or replaced, or the flue needs to be relocated, the work must be carried out by a Gas safe registered engineer and they must be part of a competent person scheme.

GOV.UK provides information regarding the building regulations approval that you will need. Please also contact us, using the details below, to find out what information we require.

Once the works are finished and we have inspected them, we will then issue a formal landlord’s consent certificate.

There is a charge of £100 for the inspection and administration costs which can be paid by cheque, made payable to Stevenage Borough Council. Please send this to the Resident and Estates Services team, or the charge can be added to your service charge account.

Resident and Estates Services

Stevenage Borough Council

Daneshill House




01438 242666