Skip to content

Private landowners are responsible for the removal of unauthorised encampments on their land.

Preventing travellers

Being the victim of unauthorised access onto your land can be both a nuisance and a costly experience.

There is little you can do to stop travellers coming onto your land unless you can obstruct the entry point. If travellers enter your land uninvited, contact us or the Police. 

We advise that you speak to a Solicitor if you want to employ bailiffs and a licensed waste contractor to remove waste. A specialist contractor will be required if human waste needs to be removed.

The measures below might make your land less inviting.


A mound or a ditch (formed using rubble/subsoil as a base, with a suitable topsoil finish), makes it difficult for a trailer or caravan to gain access without risking damage to the vehicles. It can also stop joy-riders leaving their vehicles on your land.


A strong, robust metal gate, secured with a toughened padlock, will help deter access. 

Height barrier

Toughened steel padlocks and ‘boxing’ in the connection will prevent access and a metal field gate will restrict access for joy-riders.

Fencing/Barriers (> 1.8 m)

The most robust fencing is steel palisade. Euroguard fencing is also a strong barrier. Wooden close-board fencing is more vulnerable to damage and vandalism.

Fencing/Barriers (<1 m)

Metal posts and rails are more robust than similar wooden styles. A secured height barrier will restrict access to vehicles over 1.8 m. Wooden, metal or concrete posts will not deter access.

How we can help

With your written authorisation, we may be able to assist you with removing the travellers from your land. We will liaise with the Police and travellers to agree any toleration period in which the travellers will be allowed to settle. We will then agree with the Police any actions to be taken and will work with the landowner and the Police and if need be, issue eviction notices to the travellers.

How the Police can help

The Police will assist at any time if there is a breach of the peace. They will liaise with us to agree any appropriate action such as early eviction.

If you would like further information or advice from the Police about traveller incursions, please call 101. If you feel threatened or require immediate assistance ring 999.

Customer Service Centre

Stevenage Borough Council
Ground Floor
Daneshill House

01438 242242