If you suspect that somebody is committing benefit fraud we want to hear from you.
Stevenage Borough Council is seriously committed to tackling Benefit Fraud.
The Department of Work and Pensions are responsible for investigating suspected Housing Benefit Fraud.
Reporting benefit fraud
You can report suspected Housing Benefit Fraud online to The Department of Work and Pensions
You can also call the National Fraud Hotline on 0800 854 4440. Your call is free and confidential and you do not have to give your name or address. Lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm
If you have speech or hearing problems you can use a text phone service on 0800 328 0512.
So that a thorough investigation can be carried out please provide as much information as possible, for example:
- The nature of the fraud
- Name and address of the person(s) concerned
- Details of employment including the type of work, name and address of the employer, hours of work, approximate earnings
- Details of any undeclared partner including their name, description, employment, departure times from the property
- Description of vehicles, including number plate.
Types of fraud
- Undeclared partners (living together)
- Undeclared non-dependants
- Undeclared work
- Undeclared bank/building society accounts
- Undeclared savings and capital
- Undeclared income
- Undeclared occupational/private pensions
- Contrived tenancies
All allegations will be investigated by highly trained and professional Fraud Investigators working to guidelines and legislation laid down by the Government.
Any information you supply will remain private and confidential.
Other types of Fraud
Stevenage is a partner of the Shared Anti-Fraud Services (SAFS). This partnership uses shared expertise, training and information to target fraudulent activity across the whole county.
You can also report all cases of fraud directly and in confidence by calling SAFS on 0300 123 4033.
Examples of fraud against the council can also include:
- Council Tax Support
- Housing Tenancy
- Business Rates
- Blue Badge