What is Local Housing Allowance
Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is Housing Benefit for tenants in private rented accommodation.
LHA does not affect claimants that live in council accommodation or other social housing. It is a flat rate allowance based on who lives with you and the area you live in.
LHA gives tenants the freedom of choice of where they live and it's fairer:
- You will be entitled to the same amount of benefit as people in the same circumstances as you .
- You can find out how much benefit you can get before you rent a property.
- You can decide how much of your benefit you want to spend on renting a property.
- Benefit is usually paid to you directly into your bank or building society account or by cheque. It is your responsibility to pay the rent to your landlord.
- You will find out about your benefit more quickly than before.