Skip to content

Tell us straight away if you think you're being overpaid or your circumstances change.

If you have been overpaid Housing Benefit, it means that you have been paid Benefit that you're not entitled to.

This can be because:

  • you left the home that you claimed Benefit in, and we had already paid you for a period after the date you left
  • you, or a member or your household, have had a change in circumstances or income, resulting in your Benefit being reduced, and we have already paid you at a higher amount for the same period
  • you didn't tell us that your circumstances have changed and we have paid you Benefit that you're not entitled to.

We will notify you by letter and send you an invoice for the Housing Benefit element of your overpayment.

How to get your overpayment reduced

If you have been overpaid Housing Benefit there are some circumstances in which this could be reduced by "underlying entitlement".

Please read our Underlying Entitlement page for further information.

Repay overpaid Housing Benefit

Once you receive your invoice, you can then pay in a variety of ways. If you still have a benefit entitlement we will recover the overpayment by reducing the amount of benefit you receive.

If you no longer receive Housing Benefit, you must pay the invoice within the timescales given.

You can repay your Housing Benefit overpayment online.

Make a payment online - opens new windowExternal Link - opens in a new window

What if I disagree with the overpayment?

If you disagree that you have been overpaid, or with the amount we have calculated, or that you should repay it, you can ask us to explain in writing. We will answer within 14 days.

Alternatively you can ask for a review or you can appeal against the decision. You must ask for a review or make an appeal within one month of the date of the overpayment notice. For more information on making an appeal, please see our appeals leaflet.

What if I do not repay or appeal?

If you do not repay, appeal or arrange to repay the money, we may take further action to get it back. This could lead to legal proceedings.