Supporting you through the Coronavirus pandemic

If your financial circumstances are affected by the impact of Coronavirus and you have difficulty in making your payments due to reduced income or loss / changes in your employment and you are currently in receipt of Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and your circumstances have changed you should contact the council’s benefits service by emailing us at or call us on 01438 242440 .

If you currently do not claim benefit you may be able to claim Universal Credit (UC), visit the website or calling UC Helpline 0800 3285644 and you may also be entitled to Council Tax Support.

View your Housing Benefit Account Online

Registering for an account is easy and will allow you to view your Housing Benefits online.

  • Council Tax Support Scheme
    The Government has made a number of changes to welfare benefits one of which is the abolition of Council Tax Benefit. This will be replaced by a local ‘Council Tax Support’ scheme, which takes effect from 1 April 2013.
  • Benefits - New Claim
    Information about how to apply for Universal Credit or Council Tax support.
  • Absence from Home
    New Regulations reduce the period that a person can be temporarily absent from Great Britain where entitlement to Housing Benefit and Pension Credit continues, from 13 weeks to 4 weeks in most cases.
  • Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs)
    DHP’s may be awarded, in addition to any welfare benefits, when a Local Authority considers that a claimant requires further financial assistance towards housing costs.
  • Benefits - Non-Dependant Deduction
    If someone in your home is over 18, not in full time education, works or claims benefit, they will be expected to pay a contribution to your rent.
  • Benefits - home visits
    Would you like help or advice about claiming Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support? If you can’t come and see us at our offices, we can visit you in your own home.
  • Benefit overpayments
    If you receive an overpayment of benefit, in most cases you will have to pay the money back. This page explains how you may have been overpaid, whether you have to repay the benefit money and how you can pay it back.
  • Benefits - student claims
    If you are a student you may be able to make a Housing Benefit and Council Tax support claim.
  • Housing Benefit Appeals
    If you think we have made a mistake when assessing your Housing benefit application, you can ask us to look at your application again.
  • Benefits - backdating claims
    Find out if you are entitled to have your benefit backdated.
  • Benefits - change of circumstances
    If you claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and your circumstances have changed you need to tell us within 4 weeks. Any delay in telling us could seriously affect the benefit you receive.
  • Benefits online calculator
    Use the online calculator to get an estimate of benefits you may be entitled based on the information you supply.
  • Forms and Leaflets
    Various forms and leaflets relating to benefits.
  • Local Housing Allowance
    Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is Housing Benefit for tenants in private rented accommodation.
  • How many bedrooms do you need?
    If housing benefit claimants of working age have more bedrooms than they need, they will lose part of their housing benefit.
  • Household Benefit Cap
    From April 2013, the total amount of benefit paid to a claimant will be capped.
  • Personal Independence Payments (PIP)
    Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA) as part of the government's welfare reforms.
  • Reporting fraud
    If you suspect that somebody is committing benefit fraud we want to hear from you.