Delivering regeneration in partnership
Stevenage First is a partnership of Stevenage Borough Council, Hertfordshire County Council, Hertfordshire Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP) and Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce. While Stevenage Borough Council is leading in driving the redevelopment of the town centre forward, the support of our partners in Stevenage First is vital to delivering key projects and co-ordinating the wider vision. By working together, we are better equipped to unlock the full potential of Stevenage, and create a vibrant town centre where people want to live, work and play.
Stevenage First partners have already been influential in securing significant funding through Hertfordshire LEP, commissioning enabling studies to lay the foundations for regeneration and addressing key infrastructure requirements to make the development work on the ground.
The work of Stevenage First
This partnership has jointly created the ambitious Stevenage Central Framework to reinvigorate the centre of Stevenage. Stevenage First’s vision is to deliver regeneration and growth within Stevenage over the next 20 years:
- There is energy, confidence and determination for growth and change across Stevenage. The positive results of these ambitious plans can be seen today.
- What is good for Stevenage is good for Hertfordshire, the South East and the UK economy.
- We are 100% committed to delivering lasting regeneration across the partnership, and working together to secure investment and real change.
Stevenage is in the heart of a growth area, where it can reap the benefits of cutting edge industries, a rising economy and new development, making it a great place to live, work and do business.
- Stevenage is pioneering innovation in science, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology and space exploration, with world leading organisations and new start-ups delivering major breakthroughs.
This is the first time Stevenage regeneration has been brought together at a borough and county level with the business community. We are building on previous regeneration, with all partners unified in their vision for the town. What is good for Stevenage is good for Hertfordshire and the South East as a whole.
Stevenage First is reinforced by the shared commitment of each of its partners. Their scope includes:
- Hertfordshire LEP works with partners to increase the economic prosperity of Hertfordshire
- Stevenage Borough Council provides more than 120 services to 85,500 residents
- Hertfordshire County Council is working with partners to secure the resources for critical infrastructure to underpin growth and regeneration in Stevenage
- Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce has more than 1,000 members across the county.
Message from Andrew Percival, Chair of Stevenage First
"Stevenage is a major opportunity for Hertfordshire and its regeneration is one of our key priorities. The Stevenage Central Framework is an ambitious and exciting vision for the transformation of central Stevenage.
At its heart is the redevelopment of the train station that would drive regeneration not just in that area but across the centre of Stevenage and beyond. We have already secured £15m Government funding via our Growth Deal and have carried out various studies that will provide confidence to enable development to go ahead.
As part of our Growth Deal 3 submission to the government we are calling for over £54m in funding to replace the existing outdated and inadequate rail station. A new station will act as a catalyst to regenerate the town centre, stimulate housing growth, safeguard existing high value jobs, create new ones and encourage the growth of large and small businesses. It will also stimulate creation of a new theatre and leisure centre, multi-storey car parking and the construction of a new bus station.
At Stevenage First, our strength lies in our unity. Working together, we can achieve more and Stevenage will be better for it. Stevenage First is committed to maximising the potential of Stevenage and delivering for its current and future residents and businesses."