Skip to content

Get warm, get help to pay your energy bills and get a vaccine

There are many things you can do to keep warm during the cold months of the year. You can also prevent serious illness during the cold.

If you are concerned about not being able to pay your energy bills, there is information and advice available.

Tips to keep warm

Whilst it will be very cold outside, you can do the following to make sure you stay warm in your home.

  • Wear layers of clothing (layers trap warm air), instead of one jumper, sweater or cardigan.
  • Keep the temperature in your home at least 18 °C, but this could be higher for the elderly.
  • Keeping as active as you can will keep you warmer and improve your mental health.
  • Have regular hot meals and hot drinks.
  • Use an electric blanket or a hot water bottle during the night but not both.
  • Block out draughts by keeping doors and windows closed.

Energy discounts

If you are eligible for the Winter Fuel Payment or the Cold Weather Payment, you are usually paid them automatically.

GOV.UK provides more information on the Winter Fuel Payment and the Cold Weather Payment

Citizens Advice have information if you are having problems with your energy bill or are struggling to pay your bills.

YES Energy

If you are a Stevenage resident you could be eligible for funding towards heating system upgrades and insulation installs

Flu and COVID-19 booster vaccines

The flu vaccine is offered every year and provides protection from the flu. The COVID-19 booster vaccine offers more protection after the first two doses of the vaccine.

The NHS provides information on the flu vaccine for adults the flu vaccine for children and the Coronavirus (COVID-19) booster vaccine.

Look out for each other

The cold winter months can be hard for those that live alone. If you know someone who lives by themselves, give them a visit to find out how they are doing. You could offer to do a little shopping for them in case they cannot go out to buy the essentials.

If you are concerned about someone, please contact Adult Social Care and report a concern about an adult

Always call 999 in an emergency.

Street homeless

If you come across someone that you believe may be street homeless or roofless and in need of help, we may be able to help them.

See our street homeless people over winter months page for further details.

Further information