Council to give out free meals for school children
Stevenage Borough Council will be giving out free meals to children during the October half term (26 - 30 October).
The Stevenage Helps team will be based in local neighbourhoods every day during half term, where families can collect snack boxes and additional store cupboard supplies.
The team will be at the following locations:
- Monday 3 - 4pm St Nicholas Play Centre and Bandley Hill Play Centre
- Tuesday 3 - 4pm Bedwell Community Centre
- Wednesday 3 - 4pm Pin Green Play Centre
- Thursday 3 - 4pm Outside Symonds Green Community Centre
- Friday 3 - 4pm at the back of Chells Manor Community Centre.
Distribution of food from all play centres will take place via the main gate to avoid the need for members of the public to enter the building.
Alongside this, the play team will also be handing out free activity packs – for Stevenage children aged between 5-14 years – at the following locations:
- Monday 1 - 2.30pm St Nicholas Park, and the Donkey Park (Bandley Hill)
- Tuesday 1 - 2.30pm Fairlands Bandstand and Town Centre Gardens
- Wednesday 1- 2.30pm Hampson Park and Ridlins Park
- Thursday 1 - 2.30pm Scarborough Avenue Park and Shephalbury Park
- Friday 1 - 2.30pm KGV Playing Field Park and Fairlands Park play areas (near the boat house).
Councillor Richard Henry, Portfolio Holders for Children, Young People, Leisure and Culture said: “This year has been particularly difficult for everyone, and we know that these free meals could be the difference between some children being able to eat instead of going hungry.
“If any families are struggling, we urge them to come along and collect a free meal or get in touch with the team and they will arrange delivery.”
Any families in need of the service but unable to visit can call Stevenage Helps on 01438 242452 Monday to Friday between 9am and 5pm during half term. Delivery of the boxes will then be arranged.
This service has also been extended to local schools who can refer families to Stevenage Helps by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org