Annual fireworks display cancelled due to Covid-19
The annual fireworks display held at Fairlands Valley Park will not go ahead this year due to Covid-19 and restrictions on large gatherings.
Stevenage Borough Council and Hertfordshire County Council are urging people to think carefully about doing their own firework display at home this year.
If you do choose to have a display at home, it’s important to follow fire service advice:
- Read all instructions carefully and ensure that there is enough space to keep fireworks away from spectators
- Consider letting children watch the display from indoors, safely out of the way
- Plan your firework display to make it safe and enjoyable, and ensure it finishes before 11pm
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
- Never give sparklers to a child under five
- Only buy fireworks that are CE marked
- Avoid buying fireworks online or on social media, they could be faulty and pose a real danger to you and your family
- Only buy fireworks from reputable retailers with a licence; they can also advise you on the best fireworks for your needs
- Keep fireworks in a closed box
- Follow the instructions on each firework
- Light them at arm's length using a taper
- Stand well back – many gardens do not have the space for a safe display, so consider if your garden is suitable
- Never go back to a lit firework
- Never put fireworks in your pocket
- Never throw fireworks
- Keep pets indoors.
Councillor Richard Henry, Executive Member for Children, Young People, Leisure and Culture at Stevenage Borough Council, said “We’re sorry that this much-loved free, annual fireworks display on 5 November cannot go ahead this year. Keeping our residents and staff safe is our priority and it’s simply not possible to safely run such an event while working to current guidelines and laws.
“We really hope we can bring the display back bigger and better than ever in 2021, along with the rest of our events programme.”
Hertfordshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Community Safety, Terry Hone, said: “With restrictions on large gatherings, we are expecting to see more people buying their own fireworks to set off at home. Fireworks and bonfires can be extremely dangerous, with the potential to harm wildlife, property, and people. We urge anyone using fireworks to follow guidance from Trading Standards and Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue Service.”