Senior Benefit Officer
|Salary Range||£31,077 to £34,408 (inclusive of local weighting)|
|Job type||Full time|
|Hours||37 hours per week|
|Closing date||3 December at 5pm|
About the role
An opportunity for a Senior Benefits Officer has become available to work at East Herts Council, Wallfields, Hertford as part of the Benefits Team within the Revenues and Benefits Service. This is an exciting time for you to join us and develop your career.
This motivated and highly professional team is looking for an individual committed to excellence in their work and with a passion for helping and supporting our residents. If successful you will assist across all aspects of Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support for the service; perform Quality Assurance checking for the team; make Discretionary Housing Payments decisions; make NHS Test & Trace Self Isolation Payment decisions and carry out Staff Training.
Some of the key responsibilities include:
- Provide support to the shared service managers in all aspects of the services functions and operation.
- Provide support to the benefits team by delivering timely and accurate awards of housing benefit and council tax support.
- Subsidy Audit checking/assurance.
- Testing of system upgrades.
- Dealing with service complaints and complex benefit claims.
- Contributing to the achievement of East Herts Council’s Service Level Agreements and key performance indicators.
- Collaborating with colleagues throughout the business to deliver a high standard of customer service.
- Providing information to customers with general enquiries.
- To assist with the development and implementation of new working methods and systems.
This role will suit a confident; organised; focused; methodical; enthusiastic team player who enjoys a varied role; performance based service and customer facing environment.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- A detailed knowledge of Housing Benefit administration and legislation & Council Tax Support legislation and procedures.
- A recognised qualification in Benefit Legislation (IRRV) or equivalent experience
- The ability to deal with challenging situations using tact and diplomacy
- Experience within a busy administration role within an office environment
- Competency in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience of working with multiple stakeholders from the public and private sector
- The ability to motivate people around them.
For details on how to apply, who to contact for an informal discussion and to download the job description, see the full details of the Senior Benefits Officer role on the East Herts Council website.