Former Tenant Arrears and Recharge Collections Officer
"Making Stevenage better for everyone"
|Location||Daneshill House but mostly home working|
|Hours per week||37 hours per week|
|Salary||Starting from £23,541 to £25,991 (pro rata for hours worked)|
|Full / Part time||Full-time|
|Contract||Fixed term to July 2022|
|Closing date||Monday 27 September 2021|
|Interview dates||Week commencing Monday 4 October 2021|
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (Exceptions Order) 1975 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Stevenage - A New Era
The scale of ambition across Britain’s First New Town is unprecedented. A major £billion town centre regeneration programme is currently underway along with a £45 million refurbishment of council homes. At the same time there is significant investment across the town’s neighbourhoods to make lives better. All of this is being driven by a council with a co-operative commitment to working with its communities and driving a modern and agile approach to its work.
The Covid-19 pandemic has had a profound effect on Stevenage, as it has across towns and cities across the UK. As the town embarks on its recovery plan it does so attempting to ensure that no-one is left behind. The council has recently agreed an Inclusive Economy Charter and has also announced an Equalities Commission. The aim of both of these is to tackle issues of social exclusion and to ensure opportunities are created for everyone across the town. The local voluntary sector has also come together to work to secure resources to tackle the challenges ahead.
The next 12 months will be critical to the town’s recovery.
About the role
Ready for a challenge? We need you to help former tenants pay off their outstanding debts. You will have the confidence to call and meet with customers to discuss arrears and advise, help and support them to pay off their debts. With an innovative approach you will work to improve debt recovery, while maintaining essential procedures, as well as support in compiling performance indicators.
You will support and be supported by the Income Services team in the efficient and effective management of Income Collection and debt recovery, reducing the financial loss to the Council.
The role is varied and you will be responsible for ensuring a High quality customer focused recovery service to raise debts, contact customers, in writing and on the phone or visiting and dealing with queries, monitoring payments, negotiating repayment plans where necessary, providing general and debt advice to customers and working closely with other teams
You will ensure accuracy of all recharges, all records and all aspects of the service are properly accounted for.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to manage own busy work load
- Resilience and ability to remain calm in stressful situations
- A pro-active and creative approach, investigating and problem solving
- Excellent organisational skills
- Persistence and determination to achieve targets.
We offer a range of benefits to support our staff including:
- Pension Scheme: we offer a career average pension scheme, providing generous benefits upon retirement, as well as a lump sum and pension for dependants
- Flexible working: available upon request, subject to operational requirements.
- Part time and Job share: all our full time vacancies are open to job share unless otherwise stated.
- A variety of different types of paid and unpaid leave covering emergency and planned leave, maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
- 24 days holiday rising to 30 days (depending on Local Government service)
- An extensive range of learning and development opportunities
- Confidential advice and support on personal, work, family and relationship issues, 24/7, from our Employee Assistance Programme
- Season ticket loans and discounts for public transport
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Stevenage Credit Union: secure savings, free life insurance and access to cheap loans.
- Employee Discounts: via monthly paid membership of the Civil Service Sports Council (CSSC)
- Discounted Health and Fitness membership at Stevenage Leisure Ltd (SLL)
- Trade Unions: for a small fee, all employees have the opportunity to join a Trade Union.
We care passionately about our town and are committed to making a real difference now and into the future.
Our approach is driven by Our Values. These guide and inform everything we do; delivering our services, making Stevenage a great place to live, working with our partners, and ensuring SBC is an inspiring place for our staff to work.
Application Form, Job Description and Person Specification
We are unable to accept CV’s. Please quote the correct reference no. when applying 0009284.
Download the Job Description and Person Specification.
Please also read the guidance notes on completing the application form before proceeding with your application.
Please note that vacancies may close prior to the advertised closing date in certain circumstances. Please ensure that you make your application as soon as possible.
All correspondence relating to vacancies will be via the e-mail address you have provided on your application form. Some servers automatically send emails to your junk mail so please check as well as your inbox.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Stevenage Borough Council is committed to Equal Opportunities for all.
Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, volunteers and recruitment candidates to share this commitment. SBC shall take all reasonable steps to employ staff who are safe to work with children, young people and vulnerable adults. For posts identified with regular contact with these groups applicants will be required to undertake a Value Based Interview. The council supports the legislative requirements for employing and maintaining safer staff and the guidance specified by Hertfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board.
Stevenage Borough Council