Corporate Policy and Business Support Manager
"Making Stevenage better for everyone"
|Hours per week||37|
|Salary||Starting from £51,501 to £51,779p.a. (pro rata for hours worked)|
|Full / Part time||Full time|
|Closing date||Friday 25 June|
|Interview dates||Week commencing 12 July|
Stevenage - A New Era
The scale of ambition across Britain’s First New Town is unprecedented. A major £billion town centre regeneration programme is currently underway along with a £45 million refurbishment of council homes. At the same time there is significant investment across the town’s neighbourhoods to make lives better. All of this is being driven by a council with a co-operative commitment to working with its communities and driving a modern and agile approach to its work.
The Covid-19 pandemic has had a profound effect on Stevenage, as it has across towns and cities across the UK. As the town embarks on its recovery plan it does so attempting to ensure that no-one is left behind. The council has recently agreed an Inclusive Economy Charter and has also announced an Equalities Commission. The aim of both of these is to tackle issues of social exclusion and to ensure opportunities are created for everyone across the town. The local voluntary sector has also come together to work to secure resources to tackle the challenges ahead.
The next 12 months will be critical to the town’s recovery.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic and self-motivated manager to lead our corporate policy and business support team.
You will provide a central role in supporting the Chief Executive and Senior Leadership in driving strong governance, performance and policy development across the council.
You will work across business units and with elected members to facilitate effective corporate governance and will oversee the corporate planning and reporting cycle.
You will also support your team to drive effective corporate policy and research support across the organisation and support both the council and the town’s recovery from Covid-19.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- strong knowledge of current public policy agendas and local government legislation
- a proven track record in corporate governance
- extensive experience of developing corporate performance systems
- relevant experience of driving change at a corporate level
- excellent leadership skills and the ability to take teams and colleagues with you
- an ability to develop and maintain successful internal and external relationships
- excellent communication and presentation skills
We offer a range of benefits to support our staff including:
- Pension Scheme: we offer a career average pension scheme, providing generous benefits upon retirement, as well as a lump sum and pension for dependants.
- Flexible working: available upon request, subject to operational requirements.
- Part time and Job share: all our full time vacancies are open to job share unless otherwise stated.
- A variety of different types of paid and unpaid leave covering emergency and planned leave, maternity, paternity, adoption and parental leave.
- 24 days holiday rising to 30 days (depending on Local Government service).
- An extensive range of learning and development opportunities.
- Confidential advice and support on personal, work, family and relationship issues, 24/7, from our Employee Assistance Programme.
- Season ticket loans and discounts for public transport.
- Cycle to Work scheme.
- Stevenage Credit Union: secure savings, free life insurance and access to cheap loans.
- Employee Discounts: via monthly paid membership of the Civil Service Sports Council (CSSC).
- Discounted Health and Fitness membership at Stevenage Leisure Ltd (SLL).
- Trade Unions: for a small fee, all employees have the opportunity to join a Trade Union.
We care passionately about our town and are committed to making a real difference now and into the future.
Our approach is driven by Our Values. These guide and inform everything we do; delivering our services, making Stevenage a great place to live, working with our partners, and ensuring SBC is an inspiring place for our staff to work.
Application Form, Job Description and Person Specification
We are unable to accept CV’s. Please quote the correct reference no. when applying 006596.
Download the Job Description and Person Specification.
Please also read the guidance notes on completing the application form before proceeding with your application.
For an informal discussion about this role, please contact Rob Gregory, Assistant Director Communities and Neighbourhoods by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that vacancies may close prior to the advertised closing date in certain circumstances. Please ensure that you make your application as soon as possible.
All correspondence relating to vacancies will be via the e-mail address you have provided on your application form. Some servers automatically send emails to your junk mail so please check as well as your inbox.
We look forward to receiving your application.
Stevenage Borough Council is committed to Equal Opportunities for all.
Stevenage Borough Council (SBC) is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff, volunteers and recruitment candidates to share this commitment. SBC shall take all reasonable steps to employ staff who are safe to work with children, young people and vulnerable adults. For posts identified with regular contact with these groups applicants will be required to undertake a Value Based Interview. The council supports the legislative requirements for employing and maintaining safer staff and the guidance specified by Hertfordshire Safeguarding Adults Board.
Stevenage Borough Council