Skip to content

Types of accommodation

The tenancy support team manage temporary and emergency accommodation. 

There are two types of homeless accommodation:

  • Stage 1 or emergency accommodation which has shared facilities such as a kitchen or bathroom, or both
  • Stage 2 or second stage accommodation is self-contained

If an investigation shows that we have a housing duty towards you, you may have to remain in temporary accommodation until you have gained enough time points to successfully bid for a permanent home.

For both types of accommodation, you will be assigned a Tenancy Support Officer and you will sign an agreement which will be explained to you at the time of the letting. You will also be asked for photo identification.

Permanent housing is in short supply and we hold a list of all those waiting for Social Housing.

Housing can be through a council property, a housing association property or a tenancy in the private sector.


We are a housing related support service which aims to help people to live independently by giving them support when they need it the most. The services provide practical advice, support and assistance for people in all types of households.

Clients who contact the service will have a named Tenancy Support Officer who will visit on an agreed basis to:

  • provide assistance if you want to move to sheltered housing;
  • help you find the right support with managing your income;
  • give advice on setting up a home; and
  • support you into learning, education and employment or apprenticeships.

Rent payments

Accommodation is not free. The amount you pay depends on the size of the property and the services you receive such as heating and hot water. Details of the rent and any service charges will be given to you when you meet your Tenancy Support Officer. You are responsible for making regular payments to your account.

Help with rent payments

If you receive a benefit or are on a low income, you may need help with paying for your accommodation. You may be able to apply for Housing Benefit to help pay for rented accommodation, but this will not pay for any gas or electricity charges.

You should find out if you are able to claim Universal Credit.


It is not normally possible to take pets into temporary accommodation, except for Guide Dogs. If possible, you should arrange for your pets to be temporarily looked after by friends or family, or at a kennel or cattery.


You will need to put items into storage as it may not be possible for you to take all your belongings into temporary accommodation.