Skip to content

If you are over the age of 60 or disabled and need support to live independently then you are able to apply for independent living.

Our Independent Living Schemes are a warm and welcoming community. All accommodation is self-contained with the reassurance of an experienced Specialist Support Officer on hand to offer help, support and advice.

Emergency assistance is provided if and when needed.

We have a number of Independent Living Schemes, two of which are Flexicare, providing extra care and support.

The level of independence is up to you. You can choose the level of contact with your Specialist Support Officer and how much contact you have in the scheme.

Our Independent Living Schemes are made up of various flats and bungalows. Although unfurnished, they are fully equipped with an emergency alarm system so you have peace of mind that help is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.


You will need to complete an application for housing.

Next steps

Once your housing application has been processed and you have been included on the Housing Register, we will write to you with all the information you need to bid for properties. We can also assist you with bidding.

A Specialist Support Officer will carry out an assessment in your home and discuss your suitability for independent living and any particular needs. For example, we will not offer first floor flats without a lift to anyone who has even minor mobility problems.

If your bid is successful, you will be contacted by a Specialist Support Officer at the relevant scheme to carry out a viewing of the property.

Please be aware that you must view and accept the property yourself. A friend or family member cannot do this on your behalf but can accompany you to the appointment.

Specialist Support Officers

Specialist Support Officers oversee the day to day running of the scheme and provide support to the people living there by:

  • welcoming and helping new residents to settle into their new home
  • making contact with the resident as agreed
  • answering emergency calls and obtaining assistance from doctors, family or any emergency service that may be required
  • encouraging social activities and the use of shared facilities
  • giving advice on services available for your needs
  • arranging services to help residents live independently in their homes
  • giving advice on benefits available and assisting with the completion of forms if required
  • overseeing the safety, security and maintenance of the scheme and the management of the shared areas

All properties are linked with an alarm system enabling residents to call for help in an emergency. Help and support will be provided by an experienced Specialist Support Officer 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Unfortunately, Specialist Support Officers are unable to provide any nursing or personal care but will be able to provide you with advice on where you can get help.

The role of the Specialist Support Officer is to provide support and advice on a general basis and this is not intended to replace the contact and support given by family and friends. It is intended that by working together, you can remain independent, safe, happy and secure in your own home.

How much will it cost?

There are two costs; your rent and the weekly support charge. These will be discussed with you during your assessment.

Independent Living Team / Specialist Support Services

Stevenage Borough Council
Daneshill House

01438 242666