Date of Original Policy: November 2013
Reviewed and Revised: July 2023
Due for review: July 2025
Owner: Tracy Jackson
Author: Lethius Charles
1 Aim of the policy
1.1 This policy aims to support under-occupying tenants who wish to downsize by providing them with practical support and financial.
1.2 A tenant is assessed to be under-occupying by having more bedrooms in their accommodation than is necessary for their current household composition. Housing Benefit might be reduced if your home is considered too large for you: this is sometimes known as the 'bedroom tax'.
1.3 Helping tenants to downsize appropriately will:
- release larger properties for re-letting to overcrowded families;
- make best use of existing council stock;
- relieve the financial pressures on under-occupying households adversely affected by the rising cost of living;
- help reduce customer debt and council rent arrears;
- Ensure tenants have the right sized home.