Skip to content

If you are facing eviction from your home, it is important you know your rights as a tenant.

Evictions from Assured shorthold tenancies

A section 21 notice can be served to you at any time to end an assured shorthold tenancy. Your landlord must serve this to you in writing, give you at least 2 months’ notice and follow certain rules to be valid, otherwise your eviction may be illegal.
Shelter offer detailed information on how to check if a section 21 notice is valid.

Your landlord can serve you with a section 8 notice if you are in rental arrears, involved in criminal or anti-social behaviour, or have breached any other terms of your tenancy. This must be provided to you in writing, and the notice period can be 14 days, 4 weeks or 2 months, depending on the reason for eviction.

Tenants in houses of multiple occupation

If you share some of your accommodation with your landlord or other people not part of your household, then you could have a licence rather than a Tenancy. Your rights as a licensee are different from a tenant. You will need to check your Licence Agreement to see if your landlord has to go to court to evict you after the service of a notice. Licences differ depending on the circumstances, so you may need to seek further advice. Our Housing Options Team can provide advice on what rights you have as a Licensee.

Illegal Evictions

If you suspect you are being illegally evicted, our Housing Options team or Stevenage Citizens Advice Bureau will be able to provide you with advice on this.

Eviction from a council tenancy

If you are being evicted from your council tenancy, you are still entitled to advice from our Housing Options team. They will be able to assist you in finding alternative accommodation. You can phone the team on 01438 242242 or email