Skip to content

16 and 17-year-olds are not considered adults, but they do have additional freedoms that those who are under 16 do not have.

Homeless 16 and 17-year-olds

Herts Young Homeless is an organisation that provides assistance to 16 and 17-year-olds who are homeless or threatened with homelessness. They can provide assistance, mediation and advice if you’re facing eviction, and work with parents and family members to resolve issues.

The Homeless Hub (0300 323 0130 or, is the gateway for all 16 and 17-year-olds who are threatened with eviction. The Homeless Hub work in conjunction with the YMCA, and may be able to provide temporary accommodation.

Care leavers

Under the Homelessness Reduction Act of 2017, care leavers in Hertfordshire can now approach any of the 10 constituent local councils for housing assistance.

Catalyst (formerly Aldwyck Housing Association) provide a Young Persons Service which provides supports young people in the District.

Shelter (0808 800 4444), can provide detailed advice for 16/17-year-olds facing homelessness. 

If you are a care leaver you can apply to the Council’s housing register for an allocation of social housing. Your leaving care PA will have to provide the Council with your move on paperwork for you to be considered.

The Homeless Hub offers support and advice for care leavers. They can provide guidance on realistic housing options, access to signposting and referrals to support agencies.

YC Hertfordshire (0300 123 7538 or, can offer advice and support for care leavers aged 13-21 facing housing issues. They can also provide signposting to a number of services that may be able to help with your situation. 

If you require further advice or assistance, phone the Housing Options team on 01438 242242 or email using,