What type of work will be done?
We are carrying out a programme of refurbishment and upgrade works to lifts throughout our buildings. This does mean there will be some disruption to the operation of the lifts in your block while works are being carried out.
The works to each lift may include the following:
- Replacement controllers vital to lift operation.
- New fixtures and fittings both within the lift and in the surrounding areas.
- New doors both inside and outside the lift car.
- New lighting in lift cars.
- Full rewire to lifts.
- Making good to communal areas affected in the refurbishment of the lift.
Works to each lift may vary. All aspects of the lift are being reviewed individually on a site by site basis.
When will the work begin?
You will be contacted before any work is due to start. The following is a rough guide only and dates are subject to change.
- Grosvenor Court - Completed June 2020 to August 2020
- Truro Court - Completed August 2020 to October 2020
- Norman Court - November 2020 to December 2020
- Fred Millard Court - January 2021 to February 2021
- Highcroft - February 2021 to May 2021
- Pitt Court - May 2021 to September 2021
- High Plash - September 2021 to November 2021
- Highfield - October 2021 to December 2021
- Silkin Court - January 2022 to June 2022
- The Towers - June 2022 to August 2022
Single lift buildings
We have evaluated the best methods for carrying out refurbishment works to single lift sites. The programme at these sites will last for 12 weeks with the lift being out of operation between approximately 9:30am and 3:00pm for the first 8 weeks. For the final 4 weeks, the lift will be out of operation all day. We will be providing a porter service for these final 4 weeks to help those residents who may need assistance when moving items up and down the stairs. We are also evaluating the need to decant certain residents during these works whose need for the lift is essential.
Why are you doing these works now?
Our Asset Management Plan identified the need to refurbish existing lift systems in 14 housing blocks and the maintenance of lift systems to 44 housing blocks. These works are required because the existing lift systems are getting to the end of their productive, integrity and efficiency lifespan.
Who will be doing the work?
The contractor carrying out the lift works is Essex Lift Services. Their staff are required to carry full face photo IDs. Please check all operatives IDs before letting them into your home. If you have any doubts about the identity of the person on site, please call our Customer Services Centre on 01438 242666.
Working closely with our contractors, we have reviewed government guidance and assessed all site activities to address the changes that need to be made.
Operatives carrying out work will adhere to the government’s ‘Working Safely during Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidance’ to ensure any such work may be carried out safely. If certain work cannot be undertaken safely due to a lack of suitably qualified personnel being available, or social distancing being implemented, it will not take place.
How to contact us
If you have any questions, you can contact the Investment Team by email, Investment@stevenage.gov.uk or call our Customer Services Centre on 01438 242666.