Recordings of noise can be made on your Smartphone by downloading the Noise App.
Download the App
You can download ‘The Noise App’ for free from the App Store for iPhone or Google Play Store for Android phones. Once downloaded you will need to register your account and when prompted choose Stevenage Borough Council as the provider. Once you’ve registered your account you will then be able to submit recordings to us.
How to register
- Open the app and click on “Get Started”
- Select your country of residence – NEXT
- Click “Create an Account”
- Investigator (this is us that will be investigating): As you start to type Stevenage a drop down menu will appear, select Stevenage Borough Council
- Email – enter your email address
- Create an account – enter your personal details and create a password.
- The terms and conditions will appear – press accept to continue.
- You will now need to confirm your email address. This can be done by logging into your email account and clicking on the link in the email.
- Now sign into the Noise App using your email address and password. The first time you use the account you will be asked to enter your address. This is important to allow us to follow up on the reports.
- The terms of reasonable use will appear – press continue to accept.
- The noise diary screen will now open.
If your Service Provider runs a pre-approved policy, you will be informed by email and at the end of each report submission that you have not yet been confirmed by your Service Provider. Your reports will still be stored on your device but for them to be investigated you must contact your Service Provider and ask them to approve you.
To change language, once logged in choose the menu button on the top left of the “Noise Diary” screen. You will see the option “Language”, here you can choose your desired language.
Make a recording
On the 'Noise Diary Screen', press and hold the red circle button/icon to make a recording of up to 30 seconds. No recording will be made unless the red button is being held/pressed. As soon as you stop holding the button/icon the app will stop recording. You don’t have to record the whole event – just a representative snapshot of the noise as it is happening. You can record up to 30 seconds and if you need to, you can make several recordings each one 30 seconds to be added to the same case. To stop recording remove your finger or thumb from the red button/icon. You can play back and listen to your recording. Once you have sent the recording you will not be able to play it back and listen again. Accept or reject to move to the report stage.
Creating a report
This is the extra information needed to help investigate the noise disturbance. You will be asked the following questions:
- Duration – On this occasion, how long as the noise been affecting you? Eg 10 minutes, 1 hour etc.
- What is the source of the noise? What is making the noise – alarm? DIY etc
- Where are you recording the noise? Tell us the room/place you are when you made the recording.
- How intense is the noise? Move the sliding scale to subjectively describe how loud the noise is to you.
- How does this noise affect you? You can write a small comment eg. Cannot sleep, cannot hear the TV etc.
- What is the address of the noise source? It is important to tell us the address of where you think the source of the noise is (as accurately as you can). Without this it is difficult for us to investigate.
- You will now be shown a summary of your report and where your report is being sent which is us. If the information is correct press SEND REPORT (Once you press send you will not be able to play back the recording). You will be informed about what happens next.
If your Service Provider runs a pre-approved policy, you will be informed at this stage instead. (unless in offline mode in which case you will receive an email stating this when you reconnect to Wi-Fi or regain 3G/4G)
- To make more recordings open the app and go to the Noise Diary screen (apps home screen) .The newest report will always appear at the top of the screen with all your previous reports listed below.
- To the left of the address there will be a circle this indicates if the recording was uploaded and sent.
- A white tick in a black circle means the recording uploaded and has been sent to us.
- No tick means the recording has not uploaded; leave the noise app open until a tick appears in the circle.
- Tap on the address you want to add further recordings a new screen will open with the details of the last recording. Press ‘add recording’ and follow the above steps on how to make a report. Remember, recordings are only made when you hold the red button/icon
Once you have selected one of the entries in the diary by using the tabs at the top of the screen you can switch between the “detail” and “activity” screens.
- Detail Screen –gives a brief summary of the diary entry. At the bottom of this screen you will find “Add Recording”. This is where you can continue to add recordings to an already on going complaint to help build your case.
- Activity Screen - you will see a summary of activity related to that entry by you and the investigating officer. You may also add and receive messages from the case officer investigator on this page.
For more information, please visit the Noise App website.