Value to society through Public Procurement
New Government measures will deliver value to society through public procurement.
Government departments will use the social value model to assess and score suppliers on the wider positive benefits they bring by delivering the contract. This will mean that value for money for the taxpayer can be maximised while also building a more resilient and diverse supplier base.
The new approach will mean more opportunities for SMEs and social enterprises to win Government contracts by demonstrating the full extent of the value they would generate.
The social value model which departments will assess contracts on includes:
- Supporting COVID-19 recovery, including helping local communities manage and recover from the impact of COVID.
- Tackling economic inequality, including creating new businesses, jobs and skills, as well as increasing supply chain resilience.
- Fighting climate change and reducing waste.
- Driving equal opportunity, including reducing the disability employment gap and tackling workforce inequality.
- Improving health and wellbeing and community integration.
The new measures will come into effect on 1st January 2021.