Skip to content

Make sure you have a GB EORI number

The process for importing and exporting goods from the EU will change. Businesses in Great Britain need to complete the following actions to continue importing and exporting with EU countries from 1 January 2021.

You will need a unique trader reference number, called an Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number, to complete customs declarations from 1 January 2021.

If you do not yet have one, you can get an EORI number for free.

See if your imported goods are eligible for staged controls

If you import non-controlled goods into Great Britain from the EU, you may be able to defer import declarations until 1 July 2021. Most traders with a good compliance record will be eligible.

Find out more about deferring import declarations

Check the Controlled goods list to see if you need to complete declarations from January

If you’re importing and exporting goods that are categorised as ‘controlled’, you’ll need to submit declarations from 1 January 2021.

Check if your imported goods are on the controlled goods list

Decide how you’re going to make customs declarations

Most businesses choose to hire a person or business to help with importing and exporting, such as a customs agent, freight forwarder or express operator. They can help you with declarations and ensure you’re providing the necessary information.

Find out how you can hire someone or a business to deal with customs for you