Skip to content

UK REACH, the UK’s independent chemicals regulatory framework, starts on 1 January 2021

Anyone making, selling or distributing chemicals in the UK and the EU needs to follow UK REACH and EU REACH rules. You will also need to apply for an import and export licence when trading drug precursor chemicals with EU countries.

Comply with UK REACH to trade chemicals in the UK

If you want to place new chemicals on both the EU/EEA (including Switzerland) and UK markets from 1 January 2021, you must follow both EU REACH and UK REACH rules. You must register new chemicals you want to sell on the UK market from 1 January 2021 with the Health and Safety Executive. HSE will publish detailed guidance in October.

Find out how to comply with REACH chemical regulations

Regulatory systems - apply for licences to trade drug precursor chemicals with the EU from 1 January 2021

If you trade drug precursor chemicals from 1 January 2021, you may need import or export licences to trade drug precursor chemicals with the EU. You need a domestic licence or registration before you can apply for import or export licences, this depends on the chemical you are trading. Applications usually take 12 to 16 weeks to process.

Find out about trading in drug precursors from 1 January 2021