Skip to content

Importing and exporting animals, animal products, high-risk food and feed

You will have to follow new processes to import and export animals, animal products, high-risk food and feed between the UK and the EU from 1 January 2021. Food and drink producers, manufacturers, retailers and suppliers will have to change labels from 1 January 2021.

Register for the UK’s new Import of Products, Animals, Food and Feed System

If you import animals or animal products to the UK, you will need to register for the new Import of Products, Animals, Food and Feed System. To register for the system you will need to create a Government Gateway account for the business or organisation you represent.

Find out about importing animals, animal products and high-risk food and feed not of animal origin from 1 January 2021

Register to submit Export health certificates and understand border checks on animals and animal products for export

If you export animals or animal products from Great Britain to the EU or from Great Britain to Northern Ireland, you’ll need an Export Health Certificate from 1 January 2021. An Export Health Certificate is an official document that confirms your export meets the health requirements of the destination country. You need to apply for an Export Health Certificate in advance and get your goods checked at a Border Control Post in the first EU country they enter. You will not be able to export these goods from 1 January 2021 if you do not apply in time. Register for the new Export Health Certificate Online system to be ready from 1 January 2021.

Find out how to get an export health certificate to export animals and animal products from the UK

Use new documentation and understand border checks on plant products for export and import

From 1 January 2021, Great Britain, including Scotland and Wales, will need to meet third country rules to import and export plants and plant products. You will need to follow new processes; to export plants and plant products, goods will need to be accompanied by a Phytosanitary certificate applied for using the relevant system.

A similar process will need to be followed to import plants and plant products into Great Britain from the EU from 1 January 2021. All high-priority goods will require a Phytosanitary certificate issued by the plant health authorities of the exporting country and pre-notified using the relevant notification system.

In early 2021, new IT systems will be used to import and export plants and plants products, replacing the current systems.

Find out about importing and exporting plants and plant products from 1 January 2021

Producers of GB protected products to start using new logo as part of new GB GI scheme from 1 January 2021

The UK will have its own geographical indication (GI) scheme which provides a set of rules to protect the geographical names of food, drink and agricultural products. New UK GI logos will be available to identify products protected under the UK scheme from 1 January 2021. Producers of UK food, drink and agricultural GI products registered before 1 January 2021 will have until 1 January 2024 to change packaging to display the new UK GI logos. From 1 January 2021, new UK products seeking EU GI protection will need to secure protection under UK schemes first.

Find out about protecting food and drink names from 1 January 2021