Skip to content

How do I apply for a licence?

We are responsible for the licensing of vehicles, drivers and private hire operators.

If the public will have access to your premises (such as a waiting room) you must provide a Certificate of Public Liability Insurance. If you are operating from your own home, you do not need insurance.

If you are not already a Hackney Carriage or private hire driver, you will also need to provide a basic criminal record check form.

As an operator, you can now subcontract work to other operators inside or outside the town but you must:

  • work from a base within Stevenage to be licensed by Stevenage.
  • only use Stevenage registered drivers in Stevenage registered cars.
Make an enquiry about Taxi Licensing - opens new window

Licensing conditions

We must carry out our licensing function whilst ensuring that a safe and quality service is provided to all. To aid with this function, the Licensing Department undertook a review of its policies and conditions. Following its consultation in 2008, this document was formally adopted by the General Purposes Committee on 11 March 2009.

Our licensing of vehicles, drivers and private hire operators is carried out in accordance with the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976.

Environmental Health and Licensing

Daneshill House

01438 242908 / 242916

© 2020 Stevenage Borough Council